Friday, April 29, 2011

Blog Post 14 - Scale of Design: Top 4

As an admirer of design I find myself unschooled but learning. I don't know that I have such a wealth of experience to consider myself informed but, as was said, we are all inspired by different things. Let me share with you an object, space, building and place that I find inspire my appreciation for design.


Object - Blown-Glass Vessels and Art

I appreciate design inspired by nature. Organic and natural forms are most appealing when accompanied by bright, rich and natural colors. I am particularly drawn to the austerity and cleanliness of form that glass can bring to design which can be found in functional glass-blown objects and the more playful aspects of color in art glass.


While some of Louis C. Tiffany's objects are much more elaborate and detailed I appreciate glass in simple but organic forms like this vase (photo from:http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/96.17.10).
The more modern glass artwork of Dale Chihuly shares some the organic qualities with Tiffany but also includes vibrant colors that appeal to me (photo from author, Franklin Park Conservatory, Columbus OH, November 24, 2006).

Space - Todaiji Temple interior, Nara, Japan

The tension between simplicity, functional form, and organic qualities of design can be found in the interior of the Todaiji Temple in historic Nara. Called the Daibutsuden or Great Buddha Hall  the scale of the space reminds me of being in a forest. The use of natural materials and the somewhat simple decoration,  especially the simplicity of the statuary, is comforting. I appreciate that functional items in the space are also decorative especially the strapping and nail marks on the large pillars.

Though highly decorative things have been added over the hundreds of years the santuary of the world's largest bronze Buddha is a place where I feel sheltered and at home (photo from: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/japan/nara-todaiji).


Building - Nautilus House by Javier Senosiain

Now, I have never been in this private residence built by Senosiain but I am compelled to admire it's beautiful design. I am drawn particularly to the main entrance hall with it's brightly colored but simply designed glass wall and the very organic growing space which Senosiaian intended to be a home garden and atrium space. The soft curving walls are sometimes decorated with mosaics of stone and glass. It is a quirky building that reflects a reverence for nature, a love for color, and an appreciation for the functionality of built-ins that I would say describes my own design preferences.

From the exterior you can see a very literal interpretation of the nautilus form (photo from: http://home-and-gardening.info/2009/11/15/619/).


Inside the large entrance hall you can see the simplicity and beauty of this very modern but nonetheless organic home (photo from: http://home-and-gardening.info/2009/11/15/619/).


Place - Vienna, Austria

Even after taking this course I still consider myself learning about architecture and there is no better place to learn that in Vienna. Almost all major design styles and periods are on display in this thoroughly cosmopolitan city. From the Gothic Cathedral of St. Stephen to the very modern United Nation's Vienna International Centre and everything in between.

On my first visit to Vienna I saw all these buildings, the lovely Baroque Schonbrunn Palace and the memorably unique Hudertwasserhaus. This city represents my interest in diverse and ecclectic design perspectives and my pursuit to learn more about design as a whole. I remember being so baffled by the Hundertwasser house the first time I saw it, now I have a language to identify and describe what I am seeing. 

Seeing the many sides of design in Vienna has helped me learn more about my own tastes and appreciation for architecture.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, I think you have such an eye for great design! Though you aren't in the "design-school," you have great ideas, thoughts toward design that you should continue sharing! You have shown some great work and am very impressed by all the knowledge you have! You will go far with whatever you do! Great work this semester :)

    ReplyDelete